The launch of a new careers service has been delayed until the next academic year so that officials can respond to the new prime minister’s priorities, Vlog can reveal.
The government procurement process for a schools careers service, which will replace the functions of the existing , has been pushed forward to 2027-28.
This means that updated careers support and guidance may not be available to schools for another two years, according to a tender update sent to bidders last week and seen by Vlog.
The delay comes in the same week as new technical education pathways - which will involve connecting young people to jobs and careers in their local area - were announced by prime minister Andy Burnham.
Careers service delayed
Earlier government indicated that the new careers service would deliver high-quality careers programmes and work in partnership with local authorities to improve both careers provision and work experience.
Department for Education market engagement took place this spring, with the contract due to start on 1 March 2027. The Careers and Enterprise Company is funded until September 2027.
However, on Wednesday a DfE official published an update on the government’s Jaegger portal, announcing the delay.
“As we have a new prime minister, we are taking a moment to ensure that we are responding to his priorities for securing future careers support for schools and colleges,” the DfE official confirmed.
They added: “This means we don’t expect to launch an ITT [invitation to tender] this summer.”
Mr Burnham took up post earlier this month, appointing Lucy Powell as education secretary to replace Bridget Phillipson.
Young people not getting in-person advice
The delay comes during an ongoing skills and training crisis, with almost 1 million young people aged 16 to 24 in the UK .
The into the crisis, published in May, says the school system does too little to prepare students for work and support those most at risk of unemployment.
“The careers advice on offer was frequently perceived to have made things worse rather than better,” the inquiry notes, although it acknowledges that careers guidance had improved.
The review says that only 32 per cent of young people reported receiving face-to-face careers advice in 2025, while apprenticeships were discussed with just 18 per cent.
Earlier this month, writing for Vlog, the head of destinations at one of England’s largest multi-academy trusts described good careers advice as “one of the most powerful - and underused - levers that schools have”.
The DfE has been contacted for comment.